Give Your Feedback
Give Your Feedback
  • Email:

  • Call: +91-7827932033

Canada Spouse Visa

Spouse Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor a spouse, common-law from another country to immigrate to Canada. With sponsorship, the applicant can receive permanent resident status in Canada. The sponsor must sign an agreement with the Canadian Government to financially support the applicant for 3 years after they become a permanent resident of Canada.

The Spousal Sponsorship Category

The Spousal Sponsorship program is a subsection of the Family Class immigration category. Under this program, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor a spouse or common-law partner for Canadian Permanent Residency.

Both the Canadian citizen or permanent resident (also called the ‘sponsor’) and the foreign national (the ‘sponsored person’) must be approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in order for the sponsored person to receive a visa.

Common-law Partner

You can sponsor a common law partner if you have lived together in a conjugal relationship for 12 months without interruption (some exceptions apply). You will need to prove that you and your partner have a household together.

Basic Requirements

·         Sponsor should be Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada,

·         Sponsor should be at least 18 years of age or older

·         Sponsor must sign a 3 year sponsorship agreement with the Canadian Government to financially support the spouse or partner.


Relocating to Canada under this kind of sponsorship allows an applicant to seek and undertake employment in the country without any restriction.

Unlike temporary Canadian visas for short-term entry clearance such as the Canadian visit visa, which are issued for a strictly limited duration, Canada visa applications for family immigration through this route offer a path to permanent residency.


Successful applicants will become permanent residents and after a minimum residency requirement of three years, may be able to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Getting help with your visa